There is no doubt in my mind that it is coincidental that the "Avery's First Fever" post follows the "Avery goes to School" post. Avery must have picked up a bug at school, as she came down with her first fever last week.
Now I know that I must be thankful that her first fever came at 17 months, but it was still scary. She started out one night before bed at 100.5 degrees, and despite the tylenol, she was up to 103.5 degrees by 3:00 am. For three days/nights, we fought the fever with tylenol and motrin, always hovering above 103 degrees when the motrin wore off. Besides a weak appetite and minor diaper issues, Avery had no other symptoms. She wasn't sleeping well, so she and I bunked in the guest room together and cuddled each night. My poor sweet baby!
Roger and I took her into the doctor's office on the third day, and he told us that his best guess was that she had a virus called Roseola, which is very common among toddlers. Unfortunately, the diagnosis is confirmed only when the fever breaks and is replaced by a rash. Sure enough, the next day we had a little spotted baby, but her fever was gone. The rash is non-irritating, and it actually indicates the end of the virus. From first sign of fever to last sign of the rash, Avery was impacted for about 6 days.
During the days while she was sick, Avery basically went from the couch in the playroom to our bed and back again. She just wanted to snuggle and watch cartoons. Since she never sits still for long, this was definitely alarming. Thankfully, Avery's appetite and spunky personality are back! I sure hope these viruses stay few and far between!
Now I know that I must be thankful that her first fever came at 17 months, but it was still scary. She started out one night before bed at 100.5 degrees, and despite the tylenol, she was up to 103.5 degrees by 3:00 am. For three days/nights, we fought the fever with tylenol and motrin, always hovering above 103 degrees when the motrin wore off. Besides a weak appetite and minor diaper issues, Avery had no other symptoms. She wasn't sleeping well, so she and I bunked in the guest room together and cuddled each night. My poor sweet baby!
Roger and I took her into the doctor's office on the third day, and he told us that his best guess was that she had a virus called Roseola, which is very common among toddlers. Unfortunately, the diagnosis is confirmed only when the fever breaks and is replaced by a rash. Sure enough, the next day we had a little spotted baby, but her fever was gone. The rash is non-irritating, and it actually indicates the end of the virus. From first sign of fever to last sign of the rash, Avery was impacted for about 6 days.
During the days while she was sick, Avery basically went from the couch in the playroom to our bed and back again. She just wanted to snuggle and watch cartoons. Since she never sits still for long, this was definitely alarming. Thankfully, Avery's appetite and spunky personality are back! I sure hope these viruses stay few and far between!



1 comments:
bless her heart...so glad she is better :)
Post a Comment