Friday, January 2, 2009

Avery's First Plane Ride


At 7.5 weeks, Avery took her first plane flight to Houston for Christmas. Roger and I (mainly I) were nervous about how she would react and behave on the trip. She is happiest in the morning, so I thought the 10:00 am flight would work to our benefit. We got the airport plenty early, and Southwest's wonderful skycap guys were nice enough to let us unload and checkin curbside. We literally pulled up and they took the bags from the back of the car for us. We were off to a good start! Avery and I went into the airport while Roger parked the car.

When Roger made it back to the terminal, we hit the security line. Luckily, Southwest now offers different security lanes for different types of travelers. As a former frequent flyer, I would previously breeze through the "Expert Traveler" security line in no time flat. Now in the slow "Family Lane," it took us forever to get all of our gear and ourselves through security! It was truly comical! I had read that feeding a baby during takeoff would help her little ears adjust to the altitude change, so I was trying to time Avery's feeding just right. Our flight was delayed by 20 minutes, and I was afraid that Avery would scream for her brunch before takeoff. We made it onto the plane, got comfy, and all went well. We originally put Avery's carseat in middle seat, but the flight attendant told us that carseats must be in the window seat - that was news to us, but no big deal. Avery ate brunch and spent the rest of the flight smiling and cooing at us. We felt so lucky!

Our return flight after Christmas was at 4:00 pm. If Avery is cranky, it is usually in the late afternoon/evening, so Roger and I had Southwest drink coupons ready to hand out to console our neighboring passengers if she threw a fit. We figured that they would forgive our screaming child if we bought them a drink! However, once again, we were blessed with a perfectly behaved baby. Avery didn't make a peep the entire flight!

2 comments:

shannon houlihan said...

What a good little traveler! :)

Jaime said...

that pic is just precious - love, love the dark hair!