Sunday, May 30, 2010

Austin is Here!!

Austin Thomas Adamson arrived at 12:53pm on Monday, May 24th!!
8 pounds, 21.5 inches!!


I checked into the hospital on Sunday evening around 6:00 pm. At the time, I was almost 2cm dilated. When they hooked me up to the machines, I was surprised to learn that I was having natural contractions - I wasn't feeling them at all! I was given Cervidil and an Ambien, and I settled in for the night. At 5:00 am, they started the pitocin, and I was about 3.5cm dilated. Early morning, ready to go...

By 8:00am the contractions were pretty strong, but manageable. My OB and the nurses suggested that it would be a good time to get my epidural, and I wasn't about to argue! I was PRAYING for the epidural to work (it didn't with Avery), so I was very nervous at this point. Thankfully this anesthesiologist was a pro, and this epidural worked like a charm! At 9:30am, I was dilated to almost 4cm, and my OB broke my water. I was at 5cm by 11:00 am, and I went from 5cm to 10cm over the next hour. This is exactly what my body did when I was having Avery, so I wasn't surprised by the quick progress. I was ready to push a few minutes after noon, but we had to wait a few minutes for my doctor to get back. I pushed through 2 contractions (over a 5-minute time span), and that was it - Austin was here!!!




Later that afternoon, big sister came to visit. I was so happy to see her!! I must say that she was more interested in the equipment in the room than meeting her new brother!
Our family of four!!

We stayed in the hospital for 24 hours after Austin was born, and then we went home. I had the option to stay another night, but I was anxious to get home to Avery.






Avery is becoming a FANTASTIC big sister! She loves to hold Austin!

8 comments:

Brandi said...

Congratulations on your new big boy! What a cutie! Your kids are precious!!!

Unknown said...

Such sweet pictures of your family Jennie! Austin is so precious. And Avery will be such a great big sister!!

shannon houlihan said...

That last post from Andrew was me Jennie, I was signed in as Drew! Oops :) Love, Shan

Nate, Abbey, Noah, Blaire and Tatum said...

Congratulations!!! So exciting!! You have a gorgeous family.

Amy A. W. said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a beautiful family! Huge hugs!
Love,
The Wyatts

lisa said...

He's beautiful - everyone looks great! Congrats and be well!

Melissa Darby said...

Congrats, Jennie! Austin is so precious and I'm thrilled to hear Avery is loving being a big sis. So happy for you guys!

Jaime said...

ahh, he is so sweet!! congrads!!!