Saturday, April 4, 2009

New Food: Sweet Potatoes

At Avery's 4-month checkup, our pediatrician told us we could start solid foods. We immediately started rice cereal, but we held off on everything else. I read and researched, and we decided to wait until 6-months before starting fruits and veggies. However, Avery has started waking up in the middle of the night again (usually between 4:00 and 4:30 am). Everything that I have read tells me that this is an indication that a baby is ready for solids. Considering the fact that Avery has no relative with food allergies, we decided to go ahead and give solids a start.

My favorite website for baby food information is http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/. This site is filled with recipes, menu, and tons of information. From this site, I learned that 58 vegetables were rated by adding up the percentages of USRDA for six nutrients (Vitamins A and C, folate, iron, copper, and calcium), plus fiber. Sweet Potatoes topped the list with a whopping 582 points; its nearest competitor, a raw carrot came in at 434 points. So, we started solids with the sweet potato.

I baked a sweet potato and then used my new hand blender to create the puree. It was that simple. I must say again how much I LOVE this blender! We were so curious to see Avery's reaction to the new food, and she REALLY liked it! Based on our first attempt, I would say that she preferred the sweet potato over the cereal. We will keep with the sweet potato for a few days, and then try something new. Up next? The apple!


2 comments:

Jaime said...

so good to hear as i make sweet potato fries and K loves raw carrots!! hehe isn't baby food making the best? be sure to make tons and freeze them in ice cube trays so you only have to cook them every couple weeks!

Melissa Darby said...

yay! glad avery is loving the sweet potatoes. she is beautiful! carson has a crush!