Monday, March 23, 2009

Busy in the Kitchen

We are going to have a very busy week, so I decided to cook a few meals yesterday to cover us for the first part of the week. For Sunday night's dinner, I tackled the Adamson family gumbo recipe. With over 20 ingredients, this was a daunting task! Roger taught me that the first rule to gumbo is "don't rush the roux! " and it took me about 45 minutes to get our roux just right. I cheated a little bit by using rotisserie chicken, instead of making the chicken from scratch. A few hours later, the gumbo was delish! I made chicken enchilladas for another meal, and I got to use my nifty new emersion blender for the tomatillo-cilantro sauce. I don't know how I have lived 31 years without an emersion blender - it is the neatest tool! Avery and Roger watched March Madness games while I cooked, but Avery came in to check on my progress every now and then. If I could get my act together and make a few meals every Sunday, then life during the week would be so much easier!

3 comments:

sweetfunkyvintage said...

What a great idea to make several meals at one time. The gumbo sounds awesome!
Cute apron!
Missy

Erin Basden said...

will you come cook for us??

Jaime said...

you are so stinkin cute!!