I would like to say that Avery has her first cold, but unfortunately, it is worse than that. Avery has a respiratory virus (RSV). Her symptoms started this past weekend, with some sneezing and a little cough. The cough progressed, and by Tuesday it sounded really bad. It is so sad to hear such a barking cough come from such a little baby. I have no intention of being that mother that runs to the doctor with every sneeze, but Avery's cough sounded pretty severe. I called the pediatrician yesterday, and they were able to get her in for an appoitment 45 minutes later. I love them for that!
The ped checked Avery's oxygen levels, which were thankfully very high. The nurse took a nose swab to test for RSV, and the test came back positive. Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a major cause of respiratory illness in young children. RSV is contagious, and the infection can spread rapidly through schools and child-care centers. Almost all kids are infected with RSV at least once by the time they are 2 years old. Since it is a virus, there are no antibiotic treatments.
The pediatrician said that there is a 99.9% chance that Avery picked up the virus at daycare. I called Avery's school to let them know she tested positive for the virus, and the director seemed shocked that my doctor was so certain that Avery picked up the virus at school. I am not even going to get started on my thoughts about this. However, this is just another reason that I am so thankful to have Nanny Nancy coming soon!
I am working from home the rest of the week to take care of my sick baby. Please say a quick prayer for Avery's speedy recovery!


3 comments:
So sad! I hate it when they get sick! It breaks my heart. Showing this to Jeremy...one more "pro" on the nanny vs daycare list!
I'm so sorry she got sick! I am so glad you have Nanny Nancy coming soon! :) Poor baby.
Jennie, I am SO sorry to hear about Avery! Poor baby! Thank goodness you have a nanny on the way. Prayers for a quick recovery!!
Post a Comment